Monday, July 04, 2005

Overload fee update

Hi all,

I talked with Drs. Huneycutt and Weimer to see what they had heard and, according to the information given out at the first SOAR, applied music is not going to be charged overload fees. The catalog already states that ensembles like band and choir are exempt from overload fees, and I think I can take care of the brass ensemble issue Jack brought up. I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear anything more, but it looks like we're OK. What a relief! I had a GREAT letter all drafted out and ready to forward to the administration, so I'm glad I probably won't have to use it.

I agree with Jared - it would not only be a major drain on the ensembles, but would really decimate them. We depend so much on the non-majors in our ensembles, as well as those music majors (virtually all of you!) who are in multiple ensembles, particularly those who are both vocal and instrumental musicians. I'd hate to see any student have to choose between them, since participating in both is SO valuable for your education. I'm a much better singer and conductor than I would be if I hadn't also had a good instrumental education.

I hope you know how much I and the other music faculty value and appreciate your contributions to our department. We are here to be your advocates, so if any issues like this concern you in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can put our collective heads together to figure out solutions that will help you. That's why we're here!

I just got back from performing in the North American premiere of a Mendelssohn comic opera, "Der Onkel aus Boston" (the uncle from Boston). It's only the second time it's been performed since 1824, when the composer was only 14 years old! I'm having a great experience performing with the Oregon Bach Festival. I'm drafting a lengthy post on my experience here which will be loaded ASAP. The weather here is GORGEOUS - nice cool evenings, only in the 80s during the day!

Happy 4th!
Dr. B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to hear dr. b.....my mom was about to protest with an interseting letter or somethin......good times...no extra money.....wish it was 80 and cool evenings here...more like 100 with the heat indexes

canada

Ross Bernhardt said...

Jess,
Your advisor was wrong. Ensembles are still exempt from overload fees. Apparently the registrar's office and computer center weren't clear about which courses qualified for band/choir exemption--although one would think that if the course title reads "Concert Choir" or "Jazz Band", the exemption would be obvious. Yes, we are a university. Hmmm....
:)