Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tour, program update

Tour program update:

Thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier post and in-class inquiries about the concert closer. I appreciate your input! The prevailing opinion is that too many people are weary of the piece to make it effective; it was worth considering because of how well it worked in the programming, but I agree with the general consensus.

Be careful, though, that we don't fall into the trap of always equating complexity with appropriateness for a college ensemble. Just because a piece is simple, or has been done by a high school choir, doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it. One of the masterpieces of the choral repertoire, Mozart's "Ave verum" from last year's tour, can be performed by junior-high choirs, but I've also performed it with professional choirs. Not that I'm placing "The Awakening" with Mozart, by any means! However, a good university choral concert has to balance fast/slow, foreign language/English, somber/joyous, simple/complex, major/minor, and a host of other factors to be truly effective for our audiences. The challenge is to take a simpler piece and perform it at a college-appropriate level of artistry.

In reviewing the tour program, I decided that it was weighted really heavy on the front end, so I'm shifting some things around. The movement from the Rutter "Gloria" will be moved to the end, right after "'Tis You" and "Sky-Born Music". We'll follow it with a recessional, "Down to the River to Pray". We did it 3-4 years ago and it was very effective; it also sets up positioning for Alma Mater/Irish Blessing.

Tour venue update:

I'm still in the process of getting tour scheduled. It's been much more challenging this year getting venues lined up, so several things aren't firmed up yet, but I thought I'd give you some idea of what we have so far.

Sunday Nov. 12 -
We may be singing at Northside UMC here in Jackson that morning. It's not confirmed yet, so I'll let you know as soon as I know anything.
That evening we'll be at First UMC in Crossville, TN, between Nashville and Knoxville.

Monday Nov. 13 -
This day is stil up in the air. I was shooting for First UMC in Montgomery, AL, but nothing seems to be firming up so I'm looking at other options. We'll do a high school or two during the day.

Tuesday Nov. 14 -
Another couple of high school stops. Tuesday evening will be at Brentwood UMC in Nashville.

Friday Nov. 17 -
We'll perform for the All-Southwest Honor Choir in Memphis, at the beginning of their afternoon rehearsal.

Sunday Nov. 19 -
Fall concert at Lambuth, 3pm in the Chapel. Invite your family and friends!

More details as they develop....

RCB

No comments: